Wednesday, April 27, 2005

edwards drive-in

On a site called cinema treasures it says -- S. Charles Lee designed a number of drive-ins during his career and some theatres for James Edwards II. Edwards Theatres opened this drive-in, designed by Lee, in 1948. Other Lee-designed theatres for Edwards were the Tumbleweed in El Monte, the original Temple in Temple City, and the Tujunga in Tujunga.
This 750-car site was taken over by Pacific Theatres in 1954 and until its closing and demolition in the late 1980s it was always called Edwards Drive-In.

This place described here sounds majestic somehow doesn't it? It wasn't. It always seemed run down and on the verge of closing. This was the place I fell in love with movies. Usually my mother would take us which still amazes me. My mother and four young kids at a drive-in. Maybe the reason she was able to handle it was that everyone except the two of us usually fell asleep. I was the second oldest, but I usually got to ride shot-gun because my older brother would usually rather sleep than have me hanging over the sit bugging him to switch places while he slept.

There was one night when even my mother fell asleep. The second feature was Tommy. I can still remember being completely freaked out by Ann Margret with blood all over her in a white padded room. At least that's how I remember it. It could be different but there's no way I'm ever watching Tommy again.

The double feature I remember best was a movie called The Reincarnation of Peter Proud with Easy Rider as the second feature. I'm pretty sure this was the last movie we all saw together at Edwards. Soon after we started getting dropped off at a place called Cinema-Land.

The Drive-in was across the street from Annuciation Church, where I went to grade-school and where I spent many weekends as a teenager painting the inside of the church for spending money.

Intimate Strangers is a french movie starring Sandrine Bonnaire and Fabrice Luchini. The plot is simple, a woman walks into the wrong office and assumes a tax accountant is a psychiatrist. The movie goes from there, I won't give away anything else. The reason I like this movie though is Luchini, he has this amazing stillness while onscreen that somehow allows you to know everything he's thinking. He says more sitting in a chair in this movie just listening than you'd think possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home