Monday, May 14, 2007

this morning my hair stood straight up on end
it was gone by this afternoon
that’s my current definition of geography

in the city they find birds singing for attention
they used to think it was the confusion of a lit civilization
never morning
never night

the birds are applying to overseas schools
economics
they themselves want to explain why they sing
yet they sit on top of foul poles in baseball stadiums where no one can hear them
surveyors of an indian summer
none of them untitled or homecoming

one of them killed his wife recently
waited for her after work and picked up her purse impulsively where it fell
the bird police found it in his garage, unhidden
he walks now, straight
no distance which can not be turned over
that’s his new definition

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yesterday i stood at the bus stop eating a bagel out of a plastic bag. a pigeon walked up to me. i dropped a crumb by my foot and it walked right up to my foot to eat it. i kept dropping crumbs. people gave me dirty looks. dirty girl feeds dirty pigeon. it felt like a connection. maybe it just wanted the food, but it wanted my food. is trust stupidity or a necessary spiritual risk?

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home